Online side hustles you can start in 2021
With millions of people having lost their jobs, the year 2020 showed us that one stream of income is just not enough. The Covid-19 pandemic has revealed to us that our financial circumstances can change at any time, so why not play it safe and get a side hustle to supplement your income.
Side jobs like the ones listed below may not make enough money to cover all your expenses, but they can definitely provide enough to build on your savings, pay off debt, grow your retirement savings, or reduce your financial stress.
Freelancing is the art of exchanging skill or time for money. Freelancers have the liberty of determining where they work from and which jobs to take.
As a freelancer, there are many services you can offer such as:
- Photo and video editing
- Website design
- Virtual assistance
- Web content writing and editing
- Graphic design
Platforms such as Fiverr, Payperhour, and Upwork allow freelancers to advertise their skills and find clients. On these platforms, one can make an upwords on $5 per job per hour. In order to make money in freelancing, you have to sell skills people will pay for.
Test websites and apps
This is basically reviewing websites or apps and getting paid for it. UserTesting.com is a great platform to try out. They either pay $10 for each 20- minute test or $120 for the test and an additional video conversation with the client. To get started, you’ll have to pass a short test to be accepted. You will also need the following
- A computer that runs Windows or macOS
- A reliable internet connection (upload speed of at least 2MBps)
- A microphone, either built-in or external
- Ability to download our screen recorder
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Ability to speak your thoughts aloud in English
Jobs on Mechanical Turk.
Amazon’s Mechanical Turk allows you to make some money by doing small tasks such as
- Identifying and labeling objects in images
- Helping companies select the most appropriate picture to showcase a product
- Classifying and identify objects found in satellite imagery
- Eliminating plagiarized content from business listings
- Answering questions from a computer or mobile device about any topic
- Doing market research on a variety of topics
- Writing content for websites
- Academic Writing
Livingston Research is a good place to start if you are a good academic writer. You stand to earn up to $10 per page of work you submit. There are a great variety of available writing orders on different topics so whatever field you are in, they will cater for you. The best part of this is that you get to decide when to work and what to work on. A computer or laptop plus a reliable internet connection is needed.
Transcription, which involves typing out recorded voice notes, is often a part-time work-from-home position. Many transcribers specialize in a given industry, like medical, legal, or podcast transcriptions.
You can start offering your transcription services as an individual on Fiverr, Upwork, Peopleperhour, or by approaching local companies and offering to transcribe for them. An alternative is doing it online. Several sites, including Rev.com, Transcript Divas, and TranscribeMe hire transcribers and offer them up to $15 an hour. This usually depends on the length of the audio.